ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):The West Indies Cricket Board yesterday confirmed the appointment of former Australia batsman Stuart Law as head coach of the men’s team on a two-year contract.The 48-year-old Law, a former Sri Lanka and Bangladesh head coach, will formally take up the post on February 15, just weeks before West Indies face England in a three-match one-day series in the Caribbean.Media reports last month had indicated Law had agreed a deal with the WICB.He fills the post made vacant by Phil Simmons, who was axed five months after leading West Indies to the capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in India last April.”We are delighted to welcome Stuart to West Indies Cricket. He comes at an exciting and critical time in the development of the West Indies men’s team, with the emergence of some outstanding young talent, as seen in the most recent test series against Pakistan,” outgoing director of cricket, Richard Pybus said.”He has great experience and breadth of knowledge as a player and coach and his cross-cultural experience and winning attitude will be key assets in the development of the team.”Law played a single Test and 54 one-day internationals and also campaigned extensively for English counties Essex and Lancashire.Following his playing career he served in a number of coaching roles. He coached the Australia Under-19s, was head coach of state side Queensland Bulls and of Big Bash franchise, Brisbane Heat.Last year, he served as batting coach with the national side for the tour to Sri Lanka.Law said he was anxiously looking forward to his tenure with the Caribbean side.INTERESTING TIME”I am excited at the opportunity to contribute to what I think is an interesting time for West Indies. I think this assignment has come at an important time of my career.”He is the third Australian to coach West Indies following on from Bennett King and John Dyson, who both experienced troubled tenures.A WICB release said Law would be charged with gaining “improved team results while providing leadership to players and team management”.West Indies currently languish at number eight in the Test rankings and ninth in ODIs.Law is one of three top-level WICB appointments announced this month, with former West Indies captain, Jimmy Adams named director of cricket and Englishman Johnny Grave replacing Michael Muirhead CEO.
Allan Caidic. PBA IMAGES“The Triggerman” is still locked and loaded.After all these years, Allan Caidic can still shoot the lights out and he shot San Miguel Beer past Alaska, 96-83, in the PBA Legends: Return of the Rivals charity event Sunday before a packed Araneta Coliseum crowd.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The proceeds of the game will go to the PBA Foundation.Willie Miller also had 16 in the fourth as he and Caidic engaged in a virtual shootout to the delight of the fans. Miller, a two-time MVP who suited up for Alaska from 2006 to 2010, finished with 20 points.Johnny Abarrientos, a 12-time PBA champion winning nine titles as Alaska’s main man including a Grand Slam in 1996, also showed flashes of his vintage form to come away with 11 points, 10 rebounds and two steals.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Defending champ La Salle tops Ateneo to open UAAP Season 81 campaign Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title “It feels great. But more than the result and the game you watched, it’s the solidarity of the players. We came together for a good cause,” Caidic, who played for the Beermen from 1993 to 1998, said.Caidic, who turns 56 in June, started slow before heating up as the game went on to finish with a game-high 26 points on 6-of-14 shooting from downtown. He fired 16 points in a back and forth final frame alone.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe crowd, fully engaged from the opening tip to the final buzzer, cheered every time Caidic received the ball behind the arc and roared when he swishes it.More often than not, Caidic, widely-recognized as the greatest shooter in Philippine basketball, found the bottom of the net just like old times in the late 80s to the mid 90s. Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra ‘Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance PLAY LIST 01:30’Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance00:50Trending Articles05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparc Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Read Next Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? View comments
Following a recent ruling by the Bid Protest Committee (BPC) ordering that a contract with a Surinamese subsidiary supplying beverages for the school feeding programme be annulled, the Education Ministry is currently in discussions on the next step forward.Permanent Secretary Delma NeddContacted on Wednesday, Permanent Secretary of the Education Ministry, Delma Nedd, told Guyana Times that discussions have commenced and are ongoing.“I can’t say how long it will take… but no steps have been taken with regards to that decision (by the BPC),” she indicated. Further asked whether a contact was made with the Surinamese company on the ruling with the intention of putting on hold obligations under the contract signed last year, Nedd related that the Ministry is still discussing the issue.The Bid Protest Committee ruled this week against Government’s decision to award its supply contract to the Suriname Company.Tropical Orchard Products Company (Topco), which is a subsidiary of Demerara Distillers Limited (DDL), was a long-time supplier of juices to the Guyana Government for its national school feeding programme until the Education Ministry deemed its bid for a continuation of the contract unsuitable, based on performance, and handed the contract to Caribbean International Distribution Inc (CIDI), a subsidiary of Rudisa Beverages out of Suriname. This prompted the local fruit juice company to appeal the decision to the Bid Protest Committee, which has since ruled that the Ministry breached sections of the Procurement Act and therefore ordered that the evaluation of the tenders be annulled because the Ministry’s evaluation committee “used an unlawful procedure to assess the bid of (Topco)”.The Committee pointed out that the Education Ministry failed to make known that past performance was a criterion for selection beforehand. “The non-disclosure of past performance as an evaluation criterion in the solicitation documents prevents and precludes the procuring entity from belatedly relying on such criterion in the evaluation and determination of the bid,” the Committee said in its ruling.It went on to rule that “The procuring entity failed, refused and/or neglected to consider only such evaluation criteria as set forth in the solicitation and tender documents contrary to sections 5 (3), 39 (2) and 39 (4) (c) of the Procurement Act, Cap 73:05.”The Bid Protest Committee further ordered the Ministry to compensate Topco for the cost of the preparation of its bid.The evaluation committee has a specific remit from which it should not deviate. Firstly, it must only use the evaluation criteria that are in the tender documents to evaluate the bidders. Secondly, using these criteria, it determines the lowest evaluated tender and“Thirdly, it conveys its recommendation to the procuring entity in a timely manner. No scope is given to the evaluation committee to use any criteria other than what is set out in the tender.”Six companies, Surinamese subsidiary, had bid for the contract and Topco reportedly submitted the lowest bid of $506.6 million. Citing issues with performance such as expiration dates being breached and spoilage, the Ministry wrote Topco a letter to inform the company that it had been unsuccessful.Despite Topco responding and asking for its bid to be reviewed in accordance with the criteria set out in the bid documents, Government did not reply. This stance continued until Topco complained to the Bid Protest Committee, after which the Education Ministry revealed it had felt compelled to invite the juice company.At the hearing, which was held on November 29, 2016, Topco requested that the Ministry annul its decision against Topco and re-evaluate the company’s bid according to the bid documents. In addition, a request was made for a full refund of its registration fee. Present at the hearing was the Education Ministry’s Permanent Secretary Delma Nedd.
– The Associated Press 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! – The Associated Press Olympics special for producer A week ago, he wowed audiences with Prince at the Super Bowl halftime show. Now, producer Don Mischer is turning to a different challenge: designing the opening ceremony for October’s Special Olympics in Shanghai. Mischer is a veteran producer of events from the Atlanta Olympics to concerts by Cher and Michael Jackson. “This will have a higher profile than any other Special Olympics,” Mischer said. The Shanghai event is expected to draw more than 10,000 disabled athletes from at least 170 countries and territories. The competition is a prelude to the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai. Two teenage girls posted a fake announcement on their Trenton, Ohio, school district’s Web site saying school was closed for the day because of winter weather, police said. The notice confused many parents – snow was not in the forecast – and persuaded some students to stay home. Edgewood City Schools Superintendent Tom York said he discovered the posting when he logged on to write his own announcement that school would be delayed because of extreme cold. The two Edgewood High School students were charged in juvenile court on Friday and face expulsion.
Berlin-born Boateng, 30, was one of the few German players to speak up for Ozil at the time, said in an interview this week that fellow stars in the national team should have supported the Arsenal midfielder against the harsh criticism following the World Cup debacle.“Thanks bro, for your words,” Arsenal midfielder Ozil wrote in an Instagram story on his official page.“At the DFB, you were always one of the players who was there during difficult moments.”After 23 goals and 40 assists in 92 appearances for Germany, Ozil, who was born in Gelsenkirchen to Turkish parents, announced his retirement in a fiery three-page statement.Boateng said his fellow 2014 World Cup winner had earned the right to a better send off.“Where were the players, who then publicly thanked Mesut?” questioned Boateng, whose father comes from Ghana, in an interview with Munich-based Sueddeutsche Zeitung this week.“Apparently, many did not dare to comment because they thought that would not be so popular with German fans.“It’s about a great player, who became world champion with us, who played fantastic games, who also changed German football a bit. A number 10 with a migration background!“You have to say ‘thank you’, but I find it a shame that some held back.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mesut Ozil (L) took to Instagram to thank his former Germany team-mate defender Jerome Boateng (R) for publically supporting him in the wake of the Arsenal midfielder’s controversial retirement from international football. © AFP / Yuri CORTEZBERLIN, Germany, Sep 22 – Mesut Ozil has thanked Jerome Boateng for public support in the wake of Ozil’s controversial retirement from international football.Ozil, 29, walked away from the Germany squad in July, claiming he was made a scapegoat for the national team’s disastrous failure at the World Cup and cited “racism and disrespect” due to his Turkish heritage and criticised the German FA (DFB).
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card “Saugus is always very tough,” Ramirez said. The Centurions are led by junior Kyle Ernsberger, their leading scorer. Hart counters with one of the area’s premier scorers, Matt Valaika, last seasons Foothill co-MVP. Valaika on Friday broke the Indians’ single-season scoring record and added two more goals Tuesday in a victory over Burbank. He has 31 goals through 18 games. “We’re going to go out and play our game,” Ramirez said. “If we play our ‘A’ game, we should be fine. “We’re having fun. This is the fun time of the year. In league, it’s always tough. The cream will rise to the top.” Eye on the Cowboys: Canyon graduated several players from last season’s Foothill League championship team, but the Cowboys can’t be counted out of the race. Canyon, just 7-6-3 overall, upset Saugus 2-0 Friday. The Cowboys are 2-1-1 in league; their only loss was to first-place Hart. The Saugus High boys’ soccer team had held up its end of the deal, advancing to the championship game, but an upset loss denied the Indians a coveted matchup with the Centurions in last month’s Hart tournament. Three weeks later, the teams finally meet. First-place Hart finishes the first round of Foothill League play today at second-place Saugus. “We’re excited,” Hart coach Robert Ramirez said. “We’ve been looking forward to this matchup. We wanted to face them at the tournament, but it didn’t work out.” Since finishing as the Hart tournament runner-up for the second year in a row, Saugus has continued to rise as its injury-plagued lineup returned to health. Barely above .500 entering league play, the Centurions (10-6-2) are 3-1 in the Foothill League after Tuesday’s 2-0 victory over Valencia. It’s happening again: Burroughs of Burbank’s final season in the Foothill League is turning disastrous. The Indians had their best nonleague showing in 13 years, but they have started league play 0-3-1. Last season, Burroughs surged in the second half of the league schedule, but it was too late to earn a playoff berth. The Indians this year looked to contend for a Foothill title, but they again could be shut out of the postseason. Heather Gripp, (818) 713-3607 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
ROCKIN’ – SEAN AND DONNA – PIC BRID SWEENEYTHEY’VE been jiving around the Rosses for weeks now.But there could be only one winner…..The Naomh Muire Jive Alive Winners 2013 are (drum roll there please Brid)…..Sean Rodgers and Donna Boyle (Gillespie).As they say in the Rosses….you rock! Maith Sibh! SEAN AND DONNA CROWNED NAOMH MUIRE JIVE ALIVE CHAMPIONS was last modified: April 14th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:SEAN AND DONNA CROWNED NAOMH MUIRE JIVE ALIVE CHAMPIONS
Specsavers Letterkenny in conjunction with Donegal Daily are giving one lucky reader the chance to win TWO tickets to the highly anticipated All-Ireland semi-final clash between Dublin and Donegal.Specsavers who sponsor the Hawkeye technology system currently in use at Croke Park, are giving away two Lower Hogan Stand tickets for the clash on August 31st.To be in with a chance of winning this fantastic prize follow the instructions outlined below. All you have to do is like and share the post on your Facebook page.Then comment under the story on our Donegal Daily Facebook page explaining why we should give you the tickets.The lucky winner will be notified next week.Good luck. WIN TWO TICKETS TO THE ALL-IRELAND SEMI-FINAL BETWEEN DONEGAL AND DUBLIN was last modified: August 19th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:All-Ireland semi-finaldonegaldublinEntertainmentFeaturesfreenewsNoticesWin Tickets
HE normally has to go abroad to go skiing.But today local adventurer Bren Whelan took to the slopes….in Donegal. Press play to watch Bren’s descent off piste in Inishowen. DDTV: WATCH ADVENTURER BREN GOES SKIING – IN THE HILLS OF DONEGAL was last modified: January 14th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bren whelandonegalskiing
Roberto Di Matteo is interested in taking over at Aston Villa – and will quit Chelsea if he is only offered a one-year deal as manager at Stamford Bridge, according to The Sun.Villa are looking for a manager after recently sacking Alex McLeish, and former West Brom boss Di Matteo still owns a house in the Midlands.It is claimed he is troubled by suggestions he may be asked to take on the Blues job for next season to see how he fares– and would refuse such an offer.Apparently interested in the Aston Villa hotseat.There has been speculation that owner Roman Abramovich is looking to make a short-term appointment until he can persuade Pep Guardiola to take charge.It was recently reported that former England boss Fabio Capello would be prepared to take over on the understanding that Guardiola may succeed him in the next year or two.Meanwhile, the Daily Mail say Chelsea are to offer new contracts to Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and Florent Malouda, and are looking to replace Didier Drogba with another Ivorian – CSKA Moscow striker Seydou Doumbia.The Mail also report that Chelsea defender David Luiz is hoping to play for Brazil at this summer’s Olympics.And the Daily Star claim Arsenal are now in the race to sign Lille’s Belgian starlet Eden Hazard, who is said to be close to a move to Chelsea.This page is regularly updated.Wednesday’s Chelsea quiz: Farewell Didier Follow West London Sport on Twitter Find us on Facebook