Berahino handed in a transfer request earlier in August to try and push through his dream move, but Allardyce insists the England Under-21 striker must now apologise for his outburst and concentrate on his career.“I think he’s going to have to eat a bit of humble pie. He’s contracted to West Brom,” the 60-year-old told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“He doesn’t want the fans turning on him, it could be very nasty in that situation because you’re not playing for the club that you’ve made your way with.“It was a really bad statement to put on Twitter I think. It was a young man being a bit silly. He needs to go out there and apologise and knuckle down.“He’ll wake up this morning a West Brom player. Continue to get out there and score goals and that move will come eventually.”Berahino’s transfer saga dominated the headlines on a comparatively quiet deadline day, but Premier League clubs still took their collective summer spending past £850m – a new record.Deals were being formalised late into the evening despite the early 6pm deadline, and Allardyce claims the chaos so synonymous with the final few hours illustrates the flaws in the system.He added: “It gets worse and worse, when you saw the activities yesterday and all the deals being run through it shows the system is flawed.“There’s so much panic buying and loaning. Players are telling the chairman they’re not going to play for them anymore, it’s really a very poor system.” 1 Former West Ham manager Sam Allardyce thinks West Brom striker Saido Berahino is due a portion of ‘humble pie’ after his proposed move to Tottenham was blocked on Transfer Deadline Day.Spurs had two deadline day bids rejected for the 22-year-old, who took to Twitter to vent his frustrations and threatened to go on strike at the Baggies while chairman Jeremy Peace is still at the helm.
Kurt Zouma with John Terry 1 Kurt Zouma has expressed his shock at Chelsea’s decision not to offer John Terry a new contract.Terry revealed on Sunday that he is set to end his 18-year Blues career at the end of the season after being informed by the club they will not extend his current deal.According to Zouma, however, the 35-year-old has plenty of years left in him at the top and he believes his central defensive partner will be almost impossible to replace.“I am very surprised – I didn’t know,” Zouma told the London Evening Standard.“Now we have to see what John wants to do because I think he can play for another one or two years.“This feels like when we lost Didier (Drogba) last summer. (Terry) is a huge personality at Chelsea. When you lose these kind of players, you have to replace them but I don’t know how John can be replaced. We have to think about it.“For me he can play many more times. He is still at a top level. He has been playing very well since I arrived at Chelsea. He can continue for sure.“His performances have been consistent. Since I have been at the club, I haven’t seen him play badly. That’s the truth. He was always helping everybody.“He has been a massive support to me. When I started my first games last year he was always talking to me. He is a legend and a very good leader. I have learnt a lot from him. I don’t know what to say, I am very surprised.”Despite Terry’s revelation on Sunday, Chelsea have publicly insisted that the veteran defender could still be offered a new deal.The club have yet to appoint a permanent successor to Jose Mourinho and the new boss could decide they want to keep Terry.
WHITTIER – T-Mobile has agreed to rescind controversial plans for installing a cell tower across the street from East Whittier Middle School. Instead, the mobile-phone service provider has reached agreement with the owner of the Whittier Medical Plaza, 14350 Whittier Blvd., to place the antenna on top of that building. The Whittier Design Review Board on Thursday unanimously approved the company’s plans. Those plans must next be approved by Jeff Collier, director of community development. Collier said he expects to do so in a day or two. “It’s wonderful,” said Christine Sullivan, board president of the East Whittier City School District, which had opposed placing the tower at the Second Church of Christ Scientist, 8723 Catalina Ave. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“It’s not that close to homes and will be higher up,” Sullivan said. “We just want to keep our kids out of harm’s way. If we can do that, I’m happy.” School board members and residents who live close to the location had gone to two City Council meetings to oppose the cell tower, citing health and aesthetic concerns. The council at its Sept. 25 meeting directed T-Mobile to again try to negotiate a lease with the owner of the Whittier Medical Plaza. Three days later, T-Mobile was successful. Luke Lucas, regional development manager for T-Mobile, credited the city with changing the mind of Howard Ternes, owner of Whittier Medical Plaza. Nancy Mendez, assistant city manager, said City Manager Steve Helvey had asked Ternes to reconsider signing a lease. “Perhaps the hospital realized the community’s interest in clustering cell towers in commercial areas,” Mendez said. Lucas said the change in direction is a quadruple victory. “It’s one for the community,” he said. “It’s one for the city. It’s one for the landlord and last but not least, for T-Mobile.” T-Mobile needs the cell antenna because coverage in that area is deficient, Lucas said. The problem is one of capacity, he said. When there are too many people making phone calls, the airwaves get jammed. The cell tower is expected to be built by the end of this year, he said. Collier said the city also is happy about the change. “This is the site we would have preferred in the first place because it’s a full-stealth facility,” Collier said. Collier said the antennas will not be visible. “It actually will be placed on the roof behind the parapet,” he said. “They will replace some of the tiles with a material that allows a radio signal to go through and you will never see the antennas.” email@example.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
WASHINGTON – Sure, instant messaging is fast and efficient. For many teenagers, it’s also a great way to avoid those OMG moments – that’s “omigod” – of mortifying face-to-face confrontations.More than four in 10 teens, or 43 percent, who instant message use it for things they wouldn’t say in person, according to an Associated Press-AOL poll released Thursday. Twenty-two percent use IMs to ask people out on dates or accept them, and 13 percent use them to break up.“If they freak out or something, you don’t see it,” said Cassy Hobert, 17, a high school senior from Frenchburg, Ky., and avid IMer who has used it to arrange dates. “And if I freak out, they don’t have to see it.”Overall, nearly half of teens ages 13 to 18 said they use instant messaging, those staccato, Internet-borne strings of real-time chatter often coupled with enough frenzied multitasking to fry the typical adult brain. Only about one in five adults said they use IMs – though usually with less technological aplomb or hormone-driven social drama. Danny Hitt, 34, a real estate agent in Riverside, says he has chatted with four or five IM buddies at once – a number some teens would consider embarrassingly low. He prefers the telephone for important communications.“To me, a significant conversation takes a phone call,” Hitt said. “The inflection in the voice, you lose that” with instant messages.Instant messaging’s lack of physical proximity is exactly the point for those determined to avoid cringe-inducing episodes. Self-protection Take Lewis Grove, 19, a college sophomore from Heath, Ohio, who said he has used instant messages for both ends of the dating cycle. “Fear of rejection – if you’re face to face, you can’t close out the window and disappear if you’ve been rejected” like you could if you were instant messaging, he said.Grove said the IM breakup has its advantages, too.“I’ve had some crazy ex-girlfriends. Saying that in person would probably not be the best idea for my physical safety,” he said.Among teenagers, about half of girls and more than one-third of boys said they have used instant messages for things they wouldn’t say in person.Teens do not have sole rights to using instant messages for their personal lives. About eight in 10 adults who IM use it to send personal messages from work. About half of adult IMers say they log on to IM at least daily – slightly below the percentage of teens who do so that often.Yet comparing the use and technical sophistication of instant messaging by teens and adults, while not quite like comparing Einstein to a walnut, is pretty one-sided. Teens dominate Teens are far more likely to use many of the bells and whistles that have pushed IM programs well beyond the simple text message. They are at least twice as likely as adults to send IMs to a friend’s phone, and to use them to share music or video files or to listen to music.They also are more likely than adults to use IM to chat with more than one person at a time, and to send photos or document files. And while three-fourths of adults say they send more e-mails than instant messages, nearly that many teens say they send more IMs.Teens also dominate when it comes to high usage. Ten percent say they spend three hours or more a day instant messaging, about double the adult rate. Nearly one-fifth, or 17percent, send more than 100 IMs daily, about triple the number for adults.“I could be practicing my viola or riding my bike,” said Traci Laichter, 14, of Henderson, Nev., reciting her parents’ efforts to wean her from her four hours of IMing per day. “I guess it makes sense, but, oh well, I’d rather talk to my friends.”Nearly six in 10 teens say they research homework while IMing – a percentage many parents might find suspiciously low. Large numbers of people check e-mail and search the Internet while instant messaging, while one-third to half of teens say that while IMing they also upload photographs, download music or videos, listen to online radio or update their blogs or social networking profiles.Adults outdo teens in only one activity while instant messaging – online shopping.The poll also found less than one-fifth of people use IM’s abilities to have audio chats or view streaming video of the person they are messaging. Over half say they have received unsolicited IMs from somebody they don’t know, while about one-third say they sometimes message people they’ve never met.AOL, Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp. have the most popular instant messaging programs, which collectively handle several billion IMs daily.People reported IMing slightly less than they did in a similar AP-AOL survey last year. Industry analysts said they believe IM usage is growing, and said people could be confused about whether to include IMs sent from cell phones and Web sites.The online survey of 410 teens and 836 adults was conducted Oct. 25-Nov. 5 by Knowledge Networks. The margin of sampling error was plus or minus 6 percentage points for teens and 4.3 points for adults.— — WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? IM — Instant Message AFAIK — As Far As I Know BTW — By The Way BRB — Be Right Back FYEO — For Your Eyes Only GGP — Got to Go Pee IMHO — In My Humble Opinion JK — Just Kidding LOL — Laughing Out Loud POTS — Parent Over The Shoulder ( as in “I can’t type right now, POTS.”) ROTFL — Rolling On The Floor Laughing SSIF — So Stupid It’s Funny TBC — To Be Continued160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Donegal Creameries has reported a big drop in profits for the first half of this year.The company says the drop is due to tough conditions in the dairy market, lower mushroom profits and adverse foreign exchange movements.The company reported a pre-tax profit of €862,000, down from just over €4m a year earlier. Revenue, however, rose 13.5% to €68.7m. An unchanged interim dividend of 7% will be paid.The company said turnover at its dairy division rose by more than 12% to €31.6m, but there was a loss of almost €1m due to a time lag in passing on increased wholesale prices.Donegal Creameries said, however, that dairy volumes were growing, and it expected a return to more ‘normal’ levels of profit in 2012.The company received €1.3m in its share of profits from Monaghan Middlebrook Mushrooms, down €1m from a year earlier, but said it saw this fall as temporary. Finance costs of €1m also affected profits. These were due to increased borrowing costs and currency movements.Agri-inputs profits almost doubled to €1.1m, on 12% higher turnover of €24.5m. Produce profits also doubled to almost €600,000, with turnover up 21.6% to €12.1m.For the rest of the year, Donegal Creameries said it expected to make progress on recovering increased dairy costs, and expected a good performance from the agri-inputs and produce businesses.Earlier this week Donegaldaily.com revealed how Connacht Gold was considering buying a major share of the Donegal Creameries operation.Donegal Creameries has refused to comment on these reports. EndsDONEGAL CREAMERIES REPORT LARGE DROP IN PROFITS BUT REFUSE TO COMMENT ON CONNACHT GOLD TAKEOVER REPORTS was last modified: September 1st, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Connaught GoldDOnegal CReameries profits
Real Madrid star James Rodriguez 1 The agent of James Rodriguez, Jorge Mendes, is set to discuss the Real Madrid playmaker’s future with the club’s president next week – amid interest from Arsenal and Manchester City.James has endured a difficult second campaign at the Bernabeu due to a number of niggling injuries which has had a negative impact on his form.According to El Confidencial, Mendes has scheduled a meeting with Real president Florentino Perez next week to try reach an agreement on the Colombian’s future.Arsenal were linked with a move for James last summer, while City are also understood to be ready to submit a mega-money offer should the 24-year-old become available.James joined Real from Monaco in 2014 after starring at the World Cup in Brazil that year and enjoyed a stellar first season in the Spanish capital, scoring 17 goals in 46 games.
Arsene Wenger insists he is not on the verge on signing a new contract at Arsenal and will base his decision on his future on how his side fare next season.The 66-year-old’s current deal at the Emirates Stadium expires at the end of the 2016-17 campaign, by which time he will have been in the hot-seat for over two decades.There has been much talk about whether Wenger would stay after Arsenal again failed to deliver the Premier League despite sitting top of the table at the turn of the year.A number of supporters’ groups have protested about wanting change but, at the end of Sunday’s 2-2 draw at Manchester City which all-but assured the Gunners of a top-three finish and confirming a 19th straight season in the Champions League, the fans were heard chanting the Frenchman’s name.Reports on Friday suggested he was close to agreeing a two-year extension to his current deal but Wenger vehemently dismissed the claims when asked about them during his press conference ahead of Sunday’s final league game at home to Aston Villa.“That’s completely wrong,” he said when asked about the suggestions he was close to penning a new contract.“I don’t know where this information comes from. You can treat that as just an invention and no more.“It’s absolutely false. I would like the press to check this information with myself or the club before they give it out. We both would have denied it.“I think about the next game. At my stage you want to do well. I’m committed with integrity and commitment, full commitment to the club as long as I’m under contract, but at the moment that’s all.”Wenger has always said he would not depart this summer as he wants to at least honour his current deal.He went on to say that how his side get on next year would play a huge part in determining whether or not he then seeks an additional deal or walks away.Asked if next season would be decisive for whether he stays, Wenger replied: “Of course, you sum it up very well.”He added: “What I focus on is respecting my contract and then envisage what I will do afterwards.“I can understand people are interested in that, but that is not the most important thing.“I extended my contract in a period that was vital for the club and after that I will see where I am personally and where the club stands at the end of my contract.” Arsene Wenger will celebrate 20 years at the club in October 1
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ Police think the group is affiliated with a gang and that the late-model Murano matches the description of one involved in recent shootings in Glendale and Los Angeles, said Sgt. Tom Lorentz, spokesman for the Glendale Police Department. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. GLENDALE – Police arrested five people who jumped out of a stolen car during and after a chase that ended Monday in the driveway of the Glendale Hilton Hotel. The pursuit began in Pasadena about 5:20 p.m. when a driver in a Nissan Murano failed to pull over after running a stop sign, police said. The pursuit continued onto the Glendale (2) Freeway. At one point Pasadena police took a woman into custody near Mountain Avenue when she jumped out of the car, police said. Glendale police took over and followed the car as it pulled into the driveway of the Glendale Hilton in the 100 block of West Glenoaks Boulevard. Four men jumped out of the vehicle and two were quickly taken into custody, while two were arrested later in the parking garage. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!