Rains on Wednesday afternoon gave respite to the people in Kolkata grappling with sweltering heat and power trips over past several days.Weathermen at the Alipore Meteorological office said the rains were result of the scorching heat and added that the progress of monsoons in the city will restart by the weekend.On Tuesday, the maximum temperature was around 39.6 degrees Celsius about six degrees above normal. Over the past few days, power cuts in several areas in the city late in the evening and even in the wee hours of morning have left the residents furious. The CESC authorities described the power cuts as localised faults and attributed the situation to high usage of air-conditioning till the wee hours of morning due to ongoing football World Cup.“Usually the power consumption drops after 12 in the night. But with everyone being glued to television and ACs working there have been localised faults in different areas of the city,” a senior CESC official told The Hindu. The CESC officials ruled out any ‘load shedding’. On the weather front, the relative humidity recorded in the last 24 hours was 64% in the morning and 73% in the evening.With the discomfort continuing, the State government has decided to extended the summer vacations till June 30.
China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Read Next Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games The Chinese FA launched an investigation into a match where a fourth official was reportedly attacked following a controversial draw that triggered claims of match-fixing.Baoding Rongda were leading 2-1 when the referee awarded visitors Wuhan Zall a penalty during seven minutes of stoppage time at the end of Saturday’s fixture in China’s second division. The spot-kick was converted and the match ended 2-2.ADVERTISEMENT Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Angry fans pelted the match officials with debris as they were escorted by security personnel from the pitch at the end, reported state-run newspaper the Beijing News.Baoding chairman Meng Yongli burst into tears at a chaotic post-match press conference, alleging his side had been cheated out of the win.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe Beijing News reported that fourth official Yang Kaizi was beaten up in his dressing room, but the newspaper did not say who was responsible for the attack.Meng gathered reporters on the pitch to announce he was pulling the team out of the league, before quitting as chairman hours later citing “personal reasons”. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ LATEST STORIES NCAA Season 93 Preview: St. Benilde Blazers looking to get out of cellar Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Baoding, from near Beijing, subsequently apologised and said the club had no intention of leaving the competition.The Chinese Football Association (CFA) announced an investigation into the controversy. “CFA is taking this seriously and will treat everyone involved sternly based on facts and regulations,” it said in a statement.“We would like the club to express its opinion in a calm manner. In the meantime we call on the fans to remain rational and restrained.”The state People’s Daily newspaper on Tuesday hit out at Meng and Baoding, accusing them of damaging the reputation of Chinese football.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Nikki Valdez rushes self to ER due to respiratory tract infection “In the history of football there hasn’t been any precedent where one could use beating and scolding, as well as quitting the league, to get what one wanted,” it said in a strongly worded comment piece.“For football, when the club boss is crying and shouting to quit the league, when the perpetrators are attacking referees at the door, they have probably forgotten about what they first really wanted in their heart (which is to win the game).”Chinese football has a history of controversy involving referees and officials and in 2009 launched a high-profile crackdown on corruption dogging the sport, leading to dozens of arrests and prison sentences.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparc Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Arsenal boss Emery reluctant to change XI over Christmas programmeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal boss Unai Emery won’t ring the changes over the Christmas programme.Emery will not unnecessarily rest players during the next week despite the threat of further injuries.He said: “In my career I never made these decisions. We are going to play the next match in Brighton and we are going to play full, not with considered options or playing with more caution.”The same three points are in Brighton that are in Liverpool and we are going to play first in Brighton. It’s a tough match and we will need every player with 100 per cent focus to do everything on the pitch to win.”I was speaking with Koscielny about the possibility of playing against Burnley and he said ‘not today’ because he was very tired after two matches in a week, so I decided for him not to be with the group. He said, ‘I’m not Matteo Guendouzi, Matteo is 19 and I’m 33!’.”
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Containership charter owner Global Ship Lease has agreed a three-year charter with Hapag-Lloyd for a 2015-built, high-specification boxship.The new contract for the 9,115 TEU containership UASC Al Khor is in direct continuation of the current charter and is expected to commence in June, 2019. Re-delivery is set for the second quarter of 2022.GSL said that the charter is expected to generate around USD 28 million of Adjusted EBITDA.“The fixture is consistent with our strategy of locking in contracted cashflow for longer periods when rates have risen to attractive levels, whilst retaining some exposure to the short-term charter market, allowing us to enter into new charters in an improving market,” Ian Webber, Chief Executive Officer of Global Ship Lease, said.“This charter extension further improves our long-term cashflow visibility and is indicative of our expanded relationship with charterers.”The 111,000 dwt eco, wide-beam containership was acquired through GSL’s recent merger with Poseidon Containers, which created a combined fleet of 38 ships.
NEW YORK, N.Y. – Campbell Soup will spend $4.87 billion in cash for Snyder’s-Lance, gorging on a snack market that has grown increasingly competitive.The soup maker said Monday that the acquisition will allow it to expand its distribution channels in the crowded field.Campbell Soup Co., based in Camden, New Jersey, is paying $50 per share, a 6.8 per cent premium to Snyder’s-Lance’s closing price Friday. That’s about a 27 per cent premium to the stock’s close last Wednesday, just before rumours of a deal began to circulate.Snyder’s-Lance, based in Charlotte, North Carolina, makes pretzels and chips. Its most well-known brands include Snyder’s of Hanover, Kettle Brand and Pop Secret. It will join the Campbell’s division that makes Pepperidge Farm and Goldfish crackers.The Snyder’s-Lance purchase marks Campbell’s sixth and largest acquisition over the last five years. It bought beverage-maker Bolthouse Farms in 2012, baby food company Plum and biscuit company Kelsen in 2013, hummus and salsa maker Garden Fresh in 2015, and soup maker Pacific Foods in 2017.In midday trading, Campbell Soup shares added 36 cents to $49.95. Snyder’s-Lance gained $3.10, or 6.6 per cent, to $49.89.
Phallon Stoutenburg, Outreach and Housing Co-ordinator of the Fort St John Women’s Resource Society was ecstatic about the fundraiser. “Thanks to the wonderful overwhelming support from the community between August to Christmas, the pantry at the outreach store is still doing ok. But we are still averaging 500 clients per month so all support is welcome.”The final count of the number of non-perishables donated will not be known until the end of the week, but it is clear that this year’s event surpassed the goals and expectations based on last years fundraiser. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Scissors were flying at Studio 105 on Saturday. The Studio hosted the 2nd Annual Cuts for Cans event with all proceeds going to the Fort St John Women’s Resource Society.In exchange for a non-perishable food donation, people received complimentary haircuts courtesy of seven stylists from Studio 105. The event ran from 10am-3pm on a first come, first serve basis. In 2017, the event resulted in seventy-eight haircuts in six hours, but by the three-hour mark, that number was already surpassed.
Hyderabad: Senior Congress leader Marri Shashidhar Reddy Friday sought removal of the Telangana Congress chief N Uttam Kumar Reddy, terming his leadership as a “failure”. The demand of the four-time MLA and ex-Minister comes at a time when the Telangana unit of the Congress is facing a crisis of sorts after putting up a dismal performance in the Assembly elections last December. Congress won only 19 seats in the 119-member Assembly, and since early March as many 11 of those MLAs have announced their decision to cross over to the ruling Telangana Rashtra Samithi, headed by Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ There already talk in political circles that if two more Congress MLAs switch sides, they may decide to merge the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) with that of TRS which also means the Congress would lose its tag of main opposition. Speaking to PTI, Shashidhar Reddy, also a former Vice-Chairman of National Disaster Management Authority, called for total overhaul of the party setup in Telangana, which is “long overdue and absolutely necessary”. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K “We have not focused on the organisation at the grassroots level; building the organisation at all levels is something which has been lacking,” the son of former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Marri Channa Reddy said. Shashidhar Reddy alleged the Congress in Telangana, had missed a lot of opportunities to take on the TRS government, particularly to highlight its “glaring failures and corruption.” As a result, the party has not been able to gain the confidence of the people, according to him. “It’s a clear case of failure of the (party) leadership in the state,” Shashidhar Reddy said hitting out at the Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee President and demanding his removal. “We have not been able to give that kind of confidence to the people,” he said and alleged the party’s agitations against the TRS government have been “only on paper”. “There are many sections of society who feel threatened or let down; if we don’t stand by them and gain their confidence, they will not trust you,” he said. Uttam Kumar Reddy should have been made to step down “long back” as he has failed to lead the party with single-minded objective of winning elections and carry everybody together, he said. “We have failed to win the confidence of the people. It’s a sum total of all the failures. We have not been able to take on the government, on all their shortcomings, failed promises,” Shashidhar Reddy added. Asked if he was ready to assume charge as TPCC President if the party’s central leadership gives him the responsibility, he said: “Yes, absolutely”.
Madrid: Former Brazil striker Ronaldo has rubbished the idea of a European Super League replacing the Champions League, suggesting that Europe’s top clubs are using it as a means of extracting more money for themselves. European soccer’s governing body UEFA this week met with representatives from some of the continent’s major clubs to discuss the proposal of replacing the elite competition with a league featuring promotion and relegation. But in a week where Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur produced stunning comebacks to reach the Champions League final in Madrid, Ronaldo suggested that any new tournament would struggle to replicate the kind of excitement currently on offer. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju”I personally don’t think there will be a European Super League. What they’ve managed to achieve with what the Champions League represents today is something that would take so much time to even get close to,” said the Brazilian, who is president of La Liga side Real Valladolid, at a news conference. “I think that very soon there’ll be an agreement in which the biggest clubs will start receiving more and more money and they’ll be happy with that. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai Masters”For me it would be a stupid idea to try and create a new competition given all the success that we’ve seen in the Champions League.” Ronaldo, who scored 34 goals in 37 appearances for Barcelona between 1996 and 1997, also defended his former club’s season following their dramatic collapse at Anfield. “Look at the season they’re having. They’ve reached the semis of the Champions League, won La Liga with a number of games to go, they’re in the final of the Copa del Rey and that’s not something you can just forget and throw away,” he said.
2019 Nissan Pathfinder Rock Creek Edition first drive: Its roots are showing More From Roadshow Tags More about 2017 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x 0 Nissan 2020 Kia Soul review: Well-rounded box See the 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x on the top of the desert 14 Photos Share your voice Trucks Future Cars Nissan Following previous reports, the Nissan Frontier will finally move away from its current 15-year-old self and head in a new direction, and it’ll happen relatively soon.The Nissan Frontier will finally receive a full-on redesign, Automotive News reports, citing sources familiar with the company’s plans. The kicker, though, is that it won’t make an appearance until the 2021 model year, which means it won’t hit the market until fall of next year or thereabouts. Its last big do-over was in 2004. A fun aside: I was in high school at that point.Here’s what to expect. AN’s report claims that the Frontier will still ride on the same platform as before, albeit a modified one, as it’s more sensible to reengineer the current platform than attempt to make the global Navara platform larger to accommodate the Frontier. That means the next Frontier will likely sport rear leaf springs, as opposed to the car-like (and more expensive) coil springs the Navara uses.Enlarge ImageBelow-average transaction prices have maintained consumer interest in this 15-year-old midsize truck. Nissan In terms of looks, AN’s source described it as “futuristic,” but did not specify further than that. Under the hood, the Frontier’s old 4.0-liter V6 will be dropped in favor of a newer V6 that reportedly makes around 300 horsepower. The five-speed automatic will sprout two more forward gears, as well.Nissan declined to comment on the report, which is par for the course on reports of this kind. Automakers routinely decline to discuss future products until the right time, usually leading up to the vehicle’s debut. As of now, Nissan has not made any announcements to this end.While the Frontier may be pushing 105 in dog years, the market is still embracing the midsize pickup. AN’s report points to data that says the Frontier’s market share is down, yet it still commands 15.2 percent of a segment that includes fresh faces from Ford and, soon, Jeep. In March, Nissan pushed 7,868 Frontiers out the door in the US, a slowdown of about 1,000 units compared to March of last year, according to data from GoodCarBadCar. Thus far in 2019, Nissan has sold 20,221 Frontiers. Review • 2017 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x: Keeping it basic 2016 Chevy Colorado diesel: A 7,700-pound hauler, 30-plus mpg runabout Post a comment
Virat Kohli and Anushka SharmaInstagramIndian cricket captain Virat Kohli has opened up about his actress wife Anushka Sharma yet again, calling her a big motivational factor in his life. Kohli may be battling professional misfortune, with the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) going through a meltdown in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) 2019, but personally he is in a very good space.Kohli revealed a lot on how his life changed for the better after marriage to Anushka Sharma. The celebrated cricketer was in conversation with South African cricketer AB de Villiers for IPLT20.com after the RCB’s first win of IPL 2019 at Mohali, when he said: “I think over the last more than a year or so, the best thing to have happened to me is me getting married. It’s literally changed my whole world. I have the most beautiful wife, the most beautiful person.”Virat Kohli went on to emphasise how Anushka Sharma helps him switch off after work, adding that he looks forward to spending time with her at the end of the day. She motivates him and helps him stay positive, he added.”That has been the most strong factor in my life to change the way I was,” said Kohli, adding, “Before, I was too intense in life and she always keeps me motivated, positive but at the same time we spend quality time with each other and totally get away from the game and that’s the most important thing. I think I couldn’t have been more lucky to have someone like that who can understand my mindset being in that position herself. I look forward to spending time with her and that’s how I switch off.”Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma dated for a few years before getting married in December 2017 in Italy. Watch the video here of the AB de Villiers’ interview of Virat Kohli.’Stability, balance & good wives’ – secrets to @imVkohli & @ABdeVilliers17′ successThe celebrated batting duo, the men who share 2 double century stands for @RCBTweets – chat after a welcome win at Mohali! By @tanmoym. #KXIPvRCBWATCH: https://t.co/2Ki9ZdQ8vQ pic.twitter.com/41HVJDuAAd— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) April 14, 2019