Published on November 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm Facebook Twitter Google+ Nearing the end of a long morning practice, the exhaust and drag of the Syracuse players was evident as they skated suicides from red line to red line. For most freshmen, this strenuous practice is new to their normal athletic rituals.But to Kaillie Goodnough, it is not. The Syracuse freshman defender has a different background from most of her SU teammates.Along with sophomore defender Brittney Krebs, Goodnough played high school hockey at the National Sports Academy in Lake Placid. NSA is a school built on the intertwined system of academics and winter sports to educate and prepare future Olympians.‘We have the (rare) ability where girls can come here, focus on the school year for nine months and have an on-ice season of seven months,’ NSA U-19 women’s ice hockey coach Bill Ward said. ‘Training daily, practicing daily, on ice, off ice, weight room and playing 75-80 games.’Goodnough’s athletic education at the NSA has eased the transition into collegiate hockey and made her a standout among Syracuse’s freshmen.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAfter finishing her sophomore year at South Jefferson Central School, Goodnough faced a difficult decision. She could continue her education there, or go three hours north to Lake Placid to further pursue her dream of playing hockey in college. Two weeks before the start of her junior year, she decided to leave her friends behind and go to the NSA after being advised by the Syracuse coaches.She never looked back on the decision and said she has yet to feel any regret.Coming into Syracuse, Goodnough had an abundance of skills that separated her from most recruits, SU head coach Paul Flanagan said. As a defender, he said she possesses a strong, physical presence in addition to a gifted, offensive instinct that allows her to take over a game at any point.All of those attributes account for her playing in all 16 games so far this season, tallying six points.‘She has a great attitude, which is something that can’t be overlooked,’ Flanagan said. ‘She is always smiling, always wide-eyed and wanting to learn, which is a great thing to have.’But Goodnough would not have flourished so quickly at Syracuse if she didn’t have the polished skills developed at the NSA.Unlike other high schools or prep schools, students at the NSA can embrace their winter sport of preference, such as hockey, and have it incorporated into their academics.‘You practice in the day like it is one of your class times,’ senior Megan Skelly, who attended the NSA in Calgary, said. ‘Go to practice, then you come back and go to physics. I think it prepares you for what you see in the future.’That higher level of intensity presented by the NSA is not just limited to the extra practice. It is extended to its schedules. The academy offers a more difficult schedule that requires players to travel a good amount, preparing them for the college level.But the lavish, strenuous schedule also comes with more training, and the NSA adds that component with a strength and conditioning coach.‘They get them in the weight room and the kids are prepared,’ Flanagan said. ‘They have a strength coach. We are noticing some of the kids coming out of high school programs, sometimes they get here and they think they work out, but they never have.’Flanagan has kept a strong relationship with the NSA throughout the years. It’s allowed the school to become a pipeline for his Syracuse team. Goodnough, Skelly and Krebs are all key contributors on the ice for the Orange this season.Flanagan acknowledges it can become a snowball effect and a feeder school of sorts.‘We get little patterns,’ Flanagan said. ‘You get one girl and then her friend goes there … it helps recruiting-wise.’Goodnough’s time at the NSA, through the haze, whistles and pain, has allowed her to make an easier transition from the high school to collegiate level. She’s already a vital part of the team. And she said she’s going to try to continue to improve at Syracuse to live up to her own expectations.Said Goodnough: ‘I hope to become one of the top (defenders) on the ice.’email@example.com Comments
Share On-course bookmakers return to UK courses in two-week trial August 17, 2020 StumbleUpon Share The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has issued an extension to Musselburgh’s temporary licence, which is due to last until the end of the year.The extension comes as the racecourse continues its search for a racecourse operator, as its original temporary licence is due to expire on 15 October. Musselburgh management anticipates confirming a new operator this month.In recent years, Musselburgh racecourse, which is owned by East Lothian Council, has faced a number of issues as a result of disputes between the local council and racing representatives.The BHA stepped in as a mediator, carrying out an independent review into the racecourse, which ultimately led to the decision to appoint a third-party operator.Arena Racing Company, Chester and Jockey Club Racecourses are all understood to be considering a takeover of the operation at Musselburgh, while officials at Ayr last week confirmed that they would not.The licence is held jointly by East Lothian Council and the Musselburgh Racing Associated Committee (MRAC), which was established by the council last year to manage the track. The MRAC, which is due to convene on Tuesday, is expected to address an update to the racecourse’s licence and procurement process. Musselburgh racecourse began the year with a financial deficit of approximately £150,000, the majority of which has been attributed to the £295,000 in legal costs incurred during the tender process to find a new racecourse operator. It has been suggested in the racecourse’s latest financial report that the MRAC seeks out independent legal advice to effectively distribute legal fees throughout the tender process. HBLB gives £3.2m boost to UK racing August 13, 2020 Related Articles Charlie Parker joins BHA Board of Directors June 29, 2020 Submit
Residents of Georgetown can now pay rates and taxes via the Mobile Money Guyana (MMG) app.This was made possible through a collaboration between the Mayor and City Council (M&CC) and GTT, and the initiative was officially launched on Tuesday.Information Technology (IT) Manager attached to M&CC, Adunni Christian said the action was taken to enable persons to pay monies owed to the M&CC through MMG. Christian noted that while the M&CC has begun with the payments of rates and taxes, in the near future the Council would move towards other types of payments that could be made via MMG.GTT MMG Specialist Kester Abrams“All customers need to know or understand is their account number which can be found on a receipt or the demand notice. That account number, when you make payments to Mobile Money from outside, it will allow us at M&CC to see where you are attaching these payments to,” he explained.According to Christian, one of the main reasons the MMG platform was chosen was the fact it was known to be a safe application for transacting business. He further explained that “there is no issue in terms of your security or other people accessing your account because as you know, the Mobile Money platform has been proven to be quite secure in the past.”Christian also pointed out that persons desirous of uplifting their payment receipt after completing their transaction can do so by visiting the M&CC.Specialist-in-Charge of MMG at GTT, Kester Abrams said the company was pleased to be able to further expand its services to the residents of Georgetown. He also disclosed that GTT was looking to develop its services to other municipalities across Guyana.M&CC IT Manager Adunni Christian“We have also reached out to the Ministry of Communities and we will be meeting with them in the near future to actually talk about some of the [Neighbourhood Democratic Councils] NDCs; [Regional Democratic Councils] RDCs and municipalities outside of Georgetown so that we can actually have all rates and taxes payment coming Through Mobile Money,” he stated.The services are currently available, and persons who wish to have more clarity on the new services are being encouraged to visit the M&CC office.
100 per cent of the money raised in Fort St. John will stay in the local athletic community.Donations can be made online, directly to Chadwick at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 250-271-1819. Any donation over $20 will receive a tax receipt. So far, Chadwick has raised $450, which goes towards his minimum goal of $5000, while at a national level $30,000 has been raised towards a goal of $200,000.Locally, plans are still being formed for various fundraisers set to be held at the Fort St. John Canadian Tire, but drop boxes have been set up and are already accepting donations, and a campaign is close to beginning which will sell Jumpstart brand bicycle safety valves, with all the proceeds going to the campaign.Chadwick, who used to ride mountain bikes recreationally, says this ride is a whole different beast, especially with the elevation changes through the Rockies.”I’m excited, but I’d be definitely lying to say I’m not nervous. It’s a pretty substantial distance and not the easiest route either through the Rocky Mountains. The first day it’s a 900 metre elevation gain, the second day is 900 and something metres in elevation gain, and the third day is 700 metres.”Advertisement The Jumpstart program, which is run locally by Danielle Armstrong of Big Brothers, Big Sisters in Fort St. John, was designed to help provide less fortunate children the opportunity to get involved in sports such as hockey, soccer, dance and swimming, but more importantly, helps children develop important life skills, self esteem and confidence.Last year, the local chapter of the campaign raised and donated over $11,000, providing financial assistance for 77 Fort St. John children who otherwise would not be able to participate.This year, Chadwick says he wants to help raise even more money, so he himself, along with fellow Canadian Tire employees, owners and managers, will be taking a hands-on approach.- Advertisement -He says it was because of last year’s success that he felt obligated to raise even more money for local children this year.”I think Jumpstart is a great cause helping kids participate in sports, which really has no negative side to it, its all positive… Last year we substantially increased the amount of money we raised, and I was worried that this year we would have more kids looking for money cause we were able to help so many last year, and may not have the funds available. So this was an excellent opportunity because every dollar I raise stays in Fort St. John.”Close to 40 people will hit the bike on the five day journey consisting of 550 kilometres through Alberta from Hinton to Calgary, travelling through the Rocky Mountains, with the goal of fundraising $200,000 nationally.Advertisement
The Supreme Court has questioned the lack of separate schools and distinctly trained teachers for students who suffer from autism, blindness and deafness.The apex court observed that it is “impossible to think” that children, who are disabled or suffer from any kind of disability or are mentally challenged, can be imparted education in mainstream schools along with normal children.A Bench, comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices A.M. Khanwilkar and D.Y. Chandrachud, said that access to education has now been regarded as a fundamental right under Article 21A and there was a statutory obligation on the States to provide education under the Rights of Children to Free and Compulsary Education Act, 2009.Treat them as special“We are of the prima facie view that the children with special needs have to be imparted education not only by special teachers but there have to be special schools for them,” the Bench said.It asked the Uttar Pradesh government to file an affidavit keeping its observation in mind in four weeks and specify when the State is going to meet the obligation. It listed the matter for further hearing on November 27.“When we say ‘disability’, we do not mean ‘disability’ as has been defined in the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016. The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 includes certain physical disabilities which may not be a warrant for getting admission in special schools,” the bench said.Emphasising the need for a separate system, the court said: “The students who suffer from blindness, deafness and autism or such types of disorder may be required to have separate schools with distinctly trained teachers.”The Bench was hearing a plea filed by Rajneesh Kumar Pandey through advocate Prashant Shukla, claiming lack of sufficient number of special educators in Uttar Pradesh and other States to teach the children with special needs.‘UP already on it’Additional Advocate General Aishwarya Bhati appearing for Uttar Pradesh said the State was committed to imparting education to the children with special needs.She said the State had already commenced the procedure for engaging 12,000 teachers, of whom some would be teachers for such special children.Counsel for Centre said that under the new integrated education scheme, special children were being taught along with normal children.The Ministry of Human Resource Development and the UP government claimed that children with special needs were being taught under the integrated scheme to ensure they do not get demoralised or feel alienated.As a confidence-boosting stepIt was contended that teaching such children along with the normal kids without disability would boost the confidence of those disabled and stop their isolation from the normal environment in schools.The petition, filed by 17 teachers who claim to have undertaken the training required to teach special children, has contended that to make Right to Education a success, it is necessary that qualified special educators are there in each school so that disabled kids can be prepared to face the challenges of life.The Punjab government was also faced with the same query from the Bench in a similar matter in the apex court.
In a major decision, the Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday decided the early release from jail of Bhim Army Chief Chandrashekhar Ravan, who is behind bars on NSA charges after last year’s Saharanpur caste violence. He was to be released on November 1.Mr. Chandrashekhar was booked for his alleged role in last year’s caste violence in Saharanpur district, involving Dalits and upper caste Thakurs.The UP department, which is under CM Adityanath himself, in a statement said the decision was taken on sympathetic grounds taking into consideration the representations by Mr. Chandrashekhar’s mother and the “current situation.”However, the details are yet to be confirmed. The Bhim Army founder had challenged his detention under the NSA in the Supreme Court after which the apex court recently issued a notice to the state government.Two other persons, Sonu and Shivkumar, who were in jail over the Shabbirpur violence, will also be released early. They were to be in jail till October 14.The government had booked six persons under the NSA last year.
China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Read Next Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games The Chinese FA launched an investigation into a match where a fourth official was reportedly attacked following a controversial draw that triggered claims of match-fixing.Baoding Rongda were leading 2-1 when the referee awarded visitors Wuhan Zall a penalty during seven minutes of stoppage time at the end of Saturday’s fixture in China’s second division. The spot-kick was converted and the match ended 2-2.ADVERTISEMENT Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Angry fans pelted the match officials with debris as they were escorted by security personnel from the pitch at the end, reported state-run newspaper the Beijing News.Baoding chairman Meng Yongli burst into tears at a chaotic post-match press conference, alleging his side had been cheated out of the win.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe Beijing News reported that fourth official Yang Kaizi was beaten up in his dressing room, but the newspaper did not say who was responsible for the attack.Meng gathered reporters on the pitch to announce he was pulling the team out of the league, before quitting as chairman hours later citing “personal reasons”. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ LATEST STORIES NCAA Season 93 Preview: St. Benilde Blazers looking to get out of cellar Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Baoding, from near Beijing, subsequently apologised and said the club had no intention of leaving the competition.The Chinese Football Association (CFA) announced an investigation into the controversy. “CFA is taking this seriously and will treat everyone involved sternly based on facts and regulations,” it said in a statement.“We would like the club to express its opinion in a calm manner. In the meantime we call on the fans to remain rational and restrained.”The state People’s Daily newspaper on Tuesday hit out at Meng and Baoding, accusing them of damaging the reputation of Chinese football.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Nikki Valdez rushes self to ER due to respiratory tract infection “In the history of football there hasn’t been any precedent where one could use beating and scolding, as well as quitting the league, to get what one wanted,” it said in a strongly worded comment piece.“For football, when the club boss is crying and shouting to quit the league, when the perpetrators are attacking referees at the door, they have probably forgotten about what they first really wanted in their heart (which is to win the game).”Chinese football has a history of controversy involving referees and officials and in 2009 launched a high-profile crackdown on corruption dogging the sport, leading to dozens of arrests and prison sentences.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparc Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments